Main Article Content
A simple chemistry method approach was used to synthesise new ligand derivate from L-ascorbic acid and its complexes. All of them were water-soluble and are used quite extensively in the medical and pharmaceutical fields. This study synthesised the new ligand derivative from L-ascorbic acid-base using the following steps: A 5,6-O-isopropylidene-L-ascorbic acid was prepared by reacting dry acetone with L-ascorbic acid followed by reacting it with trichloroacetic acid to yield [chloro(carboxylic)methylidene]-5,6-O-isopropylidene-L-ascorbic acid in the second stage. In the third stage, the derivative was reacted with (methyl(6-methyl-2-pyridylmethyl)amine to create a new ligand (ONMILA). This novel ligand was identified using a number of techniques, namely mass spectroscopy, 1H, 13C-Nuclear magnetic resonance, Fourier Transform Infrared (FT-IR), and Ultraviolet–visible (UV-Vis) spectra. It was observed that several complexes formed between the ligand and divalent metal ions (Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, Cd). Based on Micro Elemental Analysis, the mole ratio was (1:1) (M:L). Magnetic susceptibility, elemental analysis (C.H.N.O) procedures, molar conductivity tests, and proportion of metal ions calculations were used to describe the complexes. The findings showed the novel ligand had a mono, negative charge and behaved like a tridentate ligand type (N.N.O.). Therefore, the octahedral formula is suggested for all compounds. Only one spot was observed on thin layer chromatography (T.L.C.) for ligand (L) and complexes, indicating that the reaction completed and delivered only a single product. These chemicals have been connected to both Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria. The results suggested that antibacterial activity in metal complexes is higher than in the free ligand.
Transfer of Copyrights
- In the event of publication of the manuscript entitled [INSERT MANUSCRIPT TITLE AND REF NO.] in the Malaysian Journal of Science, I hereby transfer copyrights of the manuscript title, abstract and contents to the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) for the full legal term of copyright and any renewals thereof throughout the world in any format, and any media for communication.
Conditions of Publication
- I hereby state that this manuscript to be published is an original work, unpublished in any form prior and I have obtained the necessary permission for the reproduction (or am the owner) of any images, illustrations, tables, charts, figures, maps, photographs and other visual materials of whom the copyrights is owned by a third party.
- This manuscript contains no statements that are contradictory to the relevant local and international laws or that infringes on the rights of others.
- I agree to indemnify the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) in the event of any claims that arise in regards to the above conditions and assume full liability on the published manuscript.
- Reviewers must treat the manuscripts received for reviewing process as confidential. It must not be shown or discussed with others without the authorization from the editor of MJS.
- Reviewers assigned must not have conflicts of interest with respect to the original work, the authors of the article or the research funding.
- Reviewers should judge or evaluate the manuscripts objective as possible. The feedback from the reviewers should be express clearly with supporting arguments.
- If the assigned reviewer considers themselves not able to complete the review of the manuscript, they must communicate with the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another suitable reviewer.
Copyright: Rights of the Author(s)
- Effective 2007, it will become the policy of the Malaysian Journal of Science (published by the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) to obtain copyrights of all manuscripts published. This is to facilitate:
(a) Protection against copyright infringement of the manuscript through copyright breaches or piracy.
(b) Timely handling of reproduction requests from authorized third parties that are addressed directly to the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya.
- As the author, you may publish the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
You may produce copies of your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, for teaching purposes or to be provided, on individual basis, to fellow researchers.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, electronically on a secure network at your affiliated institution, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, on the World Wide Web, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- In the event that your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, has been requested to be reproduced, for any purpose or in any form approved by the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers), you will be informed. It is requested that any changes to your contact details (especially e-mail addresses) are made known.
Copyright: Role and responsibility of the Author(s)
- In the event of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science contains materials copyrighted to others prior, it is the responsibility of current author(s) to obtain written permission from the copyright owner or owners.
- This written permission should be submitted with the proof-copy of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science
Abdel-Rahman L H., Abu-Dief A M., Ismael M., Mohamed M A., Hashem N A. (2016). Synthesis, structure elucidation, biological screening, molecular modeling and DNA binding of some Cu (II) chelates incorporating imines derived from amino acids, Journal of Molecular Structure, 1103: 232-244.
Abu Dief A M, Abdel Rahman L H., Abdel Mawgoud A H. (2020). A robust in vitro anticancer, antioxidant and antimicrobial agents based on new metal-azomethine chelates incorporating Ag (I), Pd (II) and VO (II) cations: Probing the aspects of DNA interaction, Applied Organometallic Chemistry, 34, no. 2, e5373: 1-20.
Ahmed A. H., Hassan A. H., Gumaa A. B., Mohamed H., Eraky A M. (2016). Nickel (II)-oxaloyldihydrazone complexes: Characterization, indirect band gap energy and antimicrobial evaluation, Cogent Chemistry, 2, no. 1: 1142820: 1-14.
Ahmed N., Riaz M., Ahmed A., Bhagat M. (2015). Synthesis, characterisation, and biological evaluation of Zn (II) complex with tridentate (NNO Donor) schiff base ligand, International Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2015: 1-5.
Al-Farhan B S., Basha M T., Abdel Rahman L H., El-Saghier A M., El-Ezz D A., Marzouk A., Shehata M R., Abdalla E. M. (2021). Synthesis, DFT Calculations, Antiproliferative, Bactericidal Activity and Molecular Docking of Novel Mixed-Ligand Salen/8-Hydroxyquinoline Metal Complexes, Molecules, 26, no. 16: 4725.
Al-Khafagy A. (2016). Synthesis, characterization and biological study of some new metal-azo chelate complexes, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 8, no. 8: 296-302.
Al-Noor T H., Mohapatra R K., Azam M., AbdulKarem L K., Mohapatra P K., Ibrahim A A., Parhi P K., Dash G C., El-ajaily M., Al-Resayes S I., Raval M K., Pintilie L. (2021). Mixed-ligand complexes of ampicillin derived Schiff base ligand and Nicotinamide: Synthesis, physico-chemical studies, DFT calculation, antibacterial study and molecular docking analysis, Journal of Molecular Structure, 1229: 129832.
Bellavite P., Donzelli A. (2020). Hesperidin and SARS-CoV-2: New Light on the Healthy Function of Citrus Fruits, Antioxidants, 9, 742: 1-18.
Chatterjee I. (1973). "Evolution and the biosynthesis of ascorbic acid, Science, 182, no. 4118: 1271-1272.
El-Sonbati A., El-Bindary A., Mohamed G., Morgan S M., Hassan W., Elkholy A. (2016). Geometrical structures, thermal properties and antimicrobial activity studies of azodye complexes, Journal of Molecular Liquids, 218: 16-34.
Fodor G., Arnold R., Mohacsi T., Karle I., Flippen-Anderson J. (1983). A new role for L-ascorbic acid: Michael donor to α, β-unsaturated carbonyl compounds, Tetrahedron, 39, no. 13: 2137-2145.
Gao K., Mi H. (2021). Application of Membrane-Inlet Mass Spectrometry to Measurements of Photosynthetic Processes, Research Methods of Environmental Physiology in Aquatic Sciences, Springer: 187–192.
Hameed G F., Wadday F Y., Farhan M A A., Hussain S A. (2021). Synthesis, Spectroscopic characterization and bactericidal valuation of some metal (II) complexes with new Tridentate Heterocyclic Azo Ligand Type (NNO) Donor, Egyptian Journal of Chemistry,64, no.3:10-11.
Hanukoglu I. (2006). Antioxidant protective mechanisms against reactive oxygen species (ROS) generated by mitochondrial P450 systems in steroidogenic cells, Drug metabolism reviews,38, no. 1-2: 171-196.
Hariprasath K., Deepthi B., Babu I., Venkatesh S P., Sharfudeen S., Soumya V. (2010). Metal complexes in drug research-a review, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2, no. 4: 496-499.
Hollis L S., Amundsen A R., Stern E W. (1985). Synthesis, structure and antitumor properties of platinum complexes of vitamin C, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 107, no. 1: 274-276.
John N., James C. (2009). Scientific opinion of the panel on food additive and nutrient sources added to food on a request from the commission on calcium ascorbate, magnesium ascorbate and zinc ascorbate added for nutritional purposes in food supplements, The European Food Safety Authority Journal, 994: 1-22.
Kareem M J., Al-Hamdani A A., Al Zoubi Y K., Mohammed S G. (2021). Synthesis, characterization, and determination antioxidant activities for new Schiff base complexes derived from 2-(1H-indol-3-yl)-ethylamine and metal ion complexes, Journal of molecular Structure, 1231, 129669: 1-18.
Lawal M., Obaleye J A., Bamigboye M. O., Nnabuike G G., Ayinla S O., Rajee, A O., Babamale H. F., Ajibola A A. (2017). Mixed metal complexes of isoniazid and ascorbic acid: chelation, characterization and antimicrobial activities, Nigerian Journal of Chemical Research, 22, no. 1: 20-28.
Loke W M., Proudfoot J M., McKinley A J., Croft K D. (2006). Augmentation of monocyte intracellular ascorbate in vitro protects cells from oxidative damage and inflammatory responses, Biochemical and biophysical research communications, 345, no. 3: 1039-1043.
Mutlu Gençkal H., Erkisa M., Alper P., Sahin S., Ulukaya E., Ari F. (2020). Mixed ligand complexes of Co (II), Ni (II) and Cu (II) with quercetin and diimine ligands: Synthesis, characterization, anti-cancer and anti-oxidant activity, JBIC Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, 25, no. 1: 161-177.
Naji S H. (2014). Synthesis, Spectroscopic and biological studies of some metal complexes with 2,4–dinitro–2'–amino hydrazo benzene Al- Mustansiriyah Journal of Science, 25, No.2: 73-88.
Nisah K., Ramli M., Idroes R., Safitri E. (2021). Study of linearity and stability of Pb (II)-1, 10-phenanthroline complex with the presence of Fe (II) dan Mg (II) matrix ions using UV-Vis spectrophotometry, in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 1087, 012052, no. 1: IOP Publishing: 1-7.
O'Toole N., Lecourt C., Suffren Y., Hauser A., Khrouz L., Jeanneau E., Brioude A., Luneau D, Desroches C. (2019). Photogeneration of manganese (III) from luminescent manganese (II) complexes with thiacalixarene ligands: Synthesis, structures and photophysical properties, European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2019, no. 1: 73-78.
Omotade E., Oviawe A., Elemike E. (2020). Synthesis, Characterization And Antimicrobial Activity Of Mixed Ligand Complexes of Benzyliminothiosemicarbazide And L-Phenylalanine With Divalent Fe, Co and Ni, Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, 45, no. 2: 282 - 289.
Padayatty S J., Katz A., Wang Y., Eck P., Kwon O., Lee J., Chen S., Corpe C., Dutta A., Dutta S K., Levine M. (2003). Vitamin C as an antioxidant: evaluation of its role in disease prevention, Journal of the American college of Nutrition, 22, no. 1: 18-35.
Padmaningrum R. T., Louise I S Y., Yunita I., Sugiyarto K H. (2022). Infrared Spectral And Magnetic Properties Of Basic Copper(Ii) Nitrate Produced By Slow Titration Method, Malaysian Journal Of Science, 41(1): 106-116.
Pang Z., Raudonis R., Glick B R., Lin T J., Cheng Z. (2019). Antibiotic resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: mechanisms and alternative therapeutic strategies, Biotechnology advances, 37, no. 1: 177-192.
Radisavljević S., Petrović B. (2020). Gold (III) complexes: An overview on their kinetics, interactions with DNA/BSA, cytotoxic activity, and computational calculations, Frontiers in chemistry, 8, 379: 1-8.
Raman N., Sobha S. (2010). Synthesis, characterization, DNA interaction and antimicrobial screening of isatin-based polypyridyl mixed ligand Cu (II) and Zn (II) complexes, Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society, 75, no. 6: 773-788.
Sánchez-Lara E., García-García A., González-Vergara E., Cepeda J., Rodríguez-Diéguez A. (2021). Magneto-structural correlations of cyclo-tetravanadates functionalized with mixed-ligand copper (ii) complexes, New Journal of Chemistry, 45, no. 11: 5081-5092.
Shiekhzadeh A., Sohrabi N., Moghadam M E., Oftadeh M. (2020). Kinetic and thermodynamic investigation of human serum albumin interaction with anticancer glycine derivative of platinum complex by using spectroscopic methods and molecular docking, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 190, no. 2: 506-528.
Tweedy B. (1964). Plant extracts with metal ions as potential antimicrobial agents, Phytopathology, 55: 910-914.
Valarmathy G., Subbalakshmi R., Sumathi R., Renganathan R. (2020). Synthesis of Schiff base ligand from N-substituted benzenesulfonamide and its complexes: Spectral, thermal, electrochemical behavior, fluorescence quenching, in vitro-biological and in-vitro cytotoxic studies, Journal of Molecular Structure, 1199: 127029.
Waddai F Y., Musa F H., Fidhel H A. (2015). Synthesis And Characterization Of Some Metal Complexes With Bis [O, O-2, 3; O, O-5, 6-(N, N-Dicarboxylic Methylidene)-N-2-Methylenepyridyl]-L-Ascorbic Acid, European Chemical Bulletin, 4, no. 2: 74-79.
Wasi N., Singh H., Gajanana A., Raichowdhary A. (1987). Synthesis of metal complexes of antimalarial drugs and in vitro evaluation of their activity against plasmodium falciparum, Inorganica chimica acta, 135, no. 2: 133-137.
Xue L W., Zhang H J., Wang P P. (2020). Synthesis, crystal structures, and antimicrobial activity of copper(II) complexes derived from N′-(1-(pyridin-2-yl)ethylidene)isonicotinohydrazide, Inorganic and Nano-Metal Chemistry, 50, no. 8: 637-643.
Yoe J. H., Jones A L. (1944). Colorimetric determination of iron with disodium-1, 2-dihydroxybenzene-3, 5-disulfonate, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Analytical Edition, 16, no. 2: 111-115.
Zümreoglu-Karan B. (2006). The coordination chemistry of Vitamin C: An overview, Coordination Chemistry Reviews, 250, no. 17-18: 2295-2307.