Main Article Content
Due to its attractive properties, cubic boron nitride (c-BN) finds extensive applications in mechanical and electronic industries. The conversion of micro c-BN to nano c-BN remarkably influences the properties. This study investigates the effect of ball milling on the morphological parameters. Boron nitride was subjected to different hours of ball milling process at different rotation speeds. The crystallite size of the c-BN was measured at different ball milling time intervals, and we observed that after 100 hours, the crystallite size decreased to nano size. The ball milling was increased to 150-175 hours to get less than 100 nm size particles. The surface morphology and elemental analysis of the samples were done using SEM and EDX studies. EDX confirmed the presence of boron and nitrogen in the sample. SEM images indicated that the agglomerated morphology of c-BN particles had an irregular shape. The cubic structure was confirmed from XRD studies. Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) conducted to determine the samples' thermal stability indicated that weight loss was observed for temperatures up to 700oC. There was no significant weight loss at a higher temperature. Stronger reflectance was observed with increased ball milling time in UV-Visible DSR studies.
Transfer of Copyrights
- In the event of publication of the manuscript entitled [INSERT MANUSCRIPT TITLE AND REF NO.] in the Malaysian Journal of Science, I hereby transfer copyrights of the manuscript title, abstract and contents to the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) for the full legal term of copyright and any renewals thereof throughout the world in any format, and any media for communication.
Conditions of Publication
- I hereby state that this manuscript to be published is an original work, unpublished in any form prior and I have obtained the necessary permission for the reproduction (or am the owner) of any images, illustrations, tables, charts, figures, maps, photographs and other visual materials of whom the copyrights is owned by a third party.
- This manuscript contains no statements that are contradictory to the relevant local and international laws or that infringes on the rights of others.
- I agree to indemnify the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) in the event of any claims that arise in regards to the above conditions and assume full liability on the published manuscript.
- Reviewers must treat the manuscripts received for reviewing process as confidential. It must not be shown or discussed with others without the authorization from the editor of MJS.
- Reviewers assigned must not have conflicts of interest with respect to the original work, the authors of the article or the research funding.
- Reviewers should judge or evaluate the manuscripts objective as possible. The feedback from the reviewers should be express clearly with supporting arguments.
- If the assigned reviewer considers themselves not able to complete the review of the manuscript, they must communicate with the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another suitable reviewer.
Copyright: Rights of the Author(s)
- Effective 2007, it will become the policy of the Malaysian Journal of Science (published by the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) to obtain copyrights of all manuscripts published. This is to facilitate:
(a) Protection against copyright infringement of the manuscript through copyright breaches or piracy.
(b) Timely handling of reproduction requests from authorized third parties that are addressed directly to the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya.
- As the author, you may publish the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
You may produce copies of your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, for teaching purposes or to be provided, on individual basis, to fellow researchers.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, electronically on a secure network at your affiliated institution, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, on the World Wide Web, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- In the event that your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, has been requested to be reproduced, for any purpose or in any form approved by the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers), you will be informed. It is requested that any changes to your contact details (especially e-mail addresses) are made known.
Copyright: Role and responsibility of the Author(s)
- In the event of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science contains materials copyrighted to others prior, it is the responsibility of current author(s) to obtain written permission from the copyright owner or owners.
- This written permission should be submitted with the proof-copy of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science
ArkundatoA., HasanM., PurwandariE., PramutadiA.,& AzizF., "Temperature dependence diffusion coefficients of iron, boron and iron-boron calculated by molecular dynamics method" J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. (2019) 1170. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/1170/1/012008.
Arkundato A., Su'ud Z., Abdullah M., &Widayani "Inhibition of high corrosion in high temperature stagnant liquid lead: A molecular dynamics study." AIP Conf Proc 1244 (2010) 136. doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1170/1/012008.
AryaS. P. S.,& D'AmicoA., "Preparation, properties and applications of boron nitride thin films".Thin Solid Films, 157, (1988),267–282.doi.org/10.1016/0040-6090(88)90008-9
BassJ. D., SolovyovA., PascallA. J., KatzA., &AmJ. "Acid-Base Bifunctional and Di-electric Outer-Sphere Effects in Heterogeneous Catalysis: A Comparative Investigation of Model Primary Amine Catalysis". Chem. Soc., 128, (2016), 3737–3747.doi.org/10.1007/s10934-011-9546-x.
Brazhkin, Vadim V.; Solozhenko, Vladimir L. "Myths about new ultrahard phases: Why materials that are significantly superior to diamond in elastic moduli and hardness are impossible". J. Appl.Phys. 13,(2019),125. doi.org/10.1063/1.5082739.
Bennett T. D., & CheethamA. K., "Amorphous Metal-Organic frameworks". Acc. Chem. Res. 47, (2014), 1555–1562.
DavisR. F., "III-V nitrides for electronic and optoelectronic applications". Proc. IEEE, 79, (1991), 702. www.lib.ncsu.edu/resolver/1840.2/610
DeVriesC., "Recent advances in grinding". Research Conference Proceedings, 25, (1972), 178. doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-8300-410.
GielisseP. J., MitraS. S., PlendlJ. N., GriffisR. D., MansurL. C., MarshallR. & PascoeE. A., "Lattice infrared spectra of Boron Nitride and Boron mono phosphide". Phys. Rev., 155, (1967), 1039–1046. doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.155.1039.
IshiiT., SatoT., SekikawaY., IwataM., "Growth of whiskers of hexagonal Boron Nitride", Crystal Growth, 52, (1981), 285-289. doi.org/10.1016/0022-0248(81)90206-2.
KesterD. J.,& R. Messier., "Mechanism of nucleation and growth of cubic-Boron Nitride thin films J. Appl. Phys., 72, (1992), 504–513.doi.org/10.1016/S1468-6996(01)00004-3.
Laurence Vel, Gerard Demazeau and Jean Etourneau "Cubic boron nitride: synthesis, physicochemical properties and applications". Mater. Sci. Eng. BIO (1991) 149-164. doi.org/10.1016/0921-5107(91)90121-B.
LeeD., LeeB., ParkK. H., RyuH. J., JeonS.,& HongS. H., "Scalable exfoliation process for highly soluble boron nitride nanoplatelets by hydroxide assisted ball-milling". Nano Lett., 15, (2015), 1238–1244. doi.org/10.1038/srep07288.
Liu L., XiongZ., HuD., WuG., Liu B., & ChenP., "Solid Exfoliation of Hexagonal Boron Nitride Crystals for the Synthesis of Few-layer Boron Nitride Nanosheets". Chem. Lett., 42, (2013), 1415–1416. doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2014.10.008.
LuC.J., & LiZ.Q., "Thermodynamic aspects of nano structured Ti5Si3 formation during mechanical alloying and its characterization". J. Alloy. Compd. 395, (2005) 88.doi.org/10.1007/s12034-012-0298-2.
LuM., BousettaA., SukachR., BensaoulaA., WatersK., Eipers-SmithK. & SchultzJ. A., "Growth of c-BN on Si (100) by neutralized nitrogen ion bombardment". Appl. Phys. Lett., 64, (1994), 1514–1516.
MishimaO., EraK., TanakaJ.,&YamokaS., "Observation of a hexagonal BN surface layer on the cubic BN film grown by dual ion beam sputter deposition". Appl. Phys. Lett., 53, (1988), 962–964. doi.org/10.1063/1.118402.
Orellana-TavraC., BaxterE. F., TianT., BennettT. D., SlaterN. K. H., Cheetham A. K., &Fairen-JimenezD., "Amorphous metal-organic frameworks for drug delivery". Chem. Commun., 51, (2015), 13878–13881. doi.org/10.1039/C5CC05237H.
PouchJ. J.,&AlterovitzS. A., "Review of synthesis and properties of cubic boron nitride(c-BN) thin films". Brookfield, Trans Tech Publications. Proc. Mater. Sci. Forum, 54/55, (1990), 313–328. doi.org/10.1016/S0927-796X(97)00009-0.
ReddyL. M., SrivastavaA.,& GowdaS. R., et al., "Synthesis of nitrogen-doped graphene films for lithium battery application," ACS Nano.,4,(2010)6337–6342. doi.org/10.1021/nn101926g.
SongL., CiL., LuH., SorokinP. B., JinC., NiJ., KvashninA. G., KvashninD. G., LouJ., YakobsonB. I. & AjayanP. M., "Large Scale Growth and Characterization of Atomic Hexagonal Boron Nitride Layers." Nano Letters, 10, (2010), 3209-3215. doi.org/10.4236/jct.2013.46A2001.
Shashikala, A R.; Mayanna, S M.; Sharma, A. Studies and characterization of electroless Ni–Cr -Palloycoating.TransIMF,(2007),85,6,320324.doi.org/10.1179/174591907X246483.
Shashikala, A. R.; Sridhar, B,S.Codeposition of electroless Ni-P/ZnO nano composites and evaluation of corrosion resistance of the coatings. Materials Today: Proceedings, (2021), 45, 4, 3837-3840. doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.05.447.
ToddR. H., AllenD. K., &AltingL., "Synthesis and preparation of mono-layer h-BN nano powders by using a combination of CVD method with iso-propanol- assisted exfoliation process". Manufacturing Processes Reference Guide, Industrial Press Inc., 55. N.Y. (1994), 43–48. doi.org/10.1007/s11106-017-9836-1.
VelL., DemazeauG.,& EtourneauJ., "Cubic-boron nitride: synthesis, physicochemical propertiesandapplications".Mater.Sci.Eng.B,10,(1991),149–164.doi.org/10.1016/0921-5107(91)90121-B.
Wada T., & YamashitaN., "Cross-sectional transmission electron microscopy observations of c-BN films deposited in Si by ion- beam-assisted deposition". J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A, 10, (1992),515–520. doi.org/10.1016/0040-6090(94)90297-6.
WangP., OrimoS., MatsushimaT., FujiiH.,&MajerG., "Synthesis of boron nitride nano fibers and measurement of their hydrogen uptake capacity". Appl. Phys. Lett., 80, (2002), 318–320. doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(03)00302-6.
WentorfR. H., Jr: "Preparation of semiconducting Cubic Boron Nitride". J. Chem. Phys., 36, (1962), 1990–1991. doi.org/10.1063/1.1732816.
XiaZ.P.,&LiEtourneauZ.Q.“Structural evolution of hexagonal BN and cubic BN duringballmilling" J.Alloy.Compd.43(2007)170-173.doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2006.06.100.
XiaZ.P., LiZ.Q., LuC.J., ZhangB., &ZhouY., "Structural evolution of Al/BN mixture during mechanical alloying". J. Alloy. Compd. 399, (2005), 139.doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2005.03.087.
ZhiC. Y., BandoY.,& TangC. C, et al., "Large scale fabrication of boron nitride nanosheets and their utilization in polymeric composites with improved thermal and mechanical properties," Adv. Mater., 21, (2009) 2889–2893.doi.org/10.1002/adma.200900323.