Main Article Content
Monitoring serially dependent processes using conventional control charts yields a high false alarm rate. Multioutput Least Squares Support Vector Regression (MLS-SVR) has the capability to encompass the cross-relatedness between output variables by learning multivariate output variables simultaneously. This research aims to develop a Multivariate Cumulative Sum (MCUSUM) control chart based on the residual obtained from the MLS-SVR model for monitoring autocorrelated data. The inputs of the MLS-SVR are selected using the significant lag of a partial autocorrelation function. The proposed control chart is applied to monitor water quality data and it can detect the assignable causes in those data caused by a broken pipeline.
Transfer of Copyrights
- In the event of publication of the manuscript entitled [INSERT MANUSCRIPT TITLE AND REF NO.] in the Malaysian Journal of Science, I hereby transfer copyrights of the manuscript title, abstract and contents to the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) for the full legal term of copyright and any renewals thereof throughout the world in any format, and any media for communication.
Conditions of Publication
- I hereby state that this manuscript to be published is an original work, unpublished in any form prior and I have obtained the necessary permission for the reproduction (or am the owner) of any images, illustrations, tables, charts, figures, maps, photographs and other visual materials of whom the copyrights is owned by a third party.
- This manuscript contains no statements that are contradictory to the relevant local and international laws or that infringes on the rights of others.
- I agree to indemnify the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) in the event of any claims that arise in regards to the above conditions and assume full liability on the published manuscript.
- Reviewers must treat the manuscripts received for reviewing process as confidential. It must not be shown or discussed with others without the authorization from the editor of MJS.
- Reviewers assigned must not have conflicts of interest with respect to the original work, the authors of the article or the research funding.
- Reviewers should judge or evaluate the manuscripts objective as possible. The feedback from the reviewers should be express clearly with supporting arguments.
- If the assigned reviewer considers themselves not able to complete the review of the manuscript, they must communicate with the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another suitable reviewer.
Copyright: Rights of the Author(s)
- Effective 2007, it will become the policy of the Malaysian Journal of Science (published by the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) to obtain copyrights of all manuscripts published. This is to facilitate:
(a) Protection against copyright infringement of the manuscript through copyright breaches or piracy.
(b) Timely handling of reproduction requests from authorized third parties that are addressed directly to the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya.
- As the author, you may publish the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
You may produce copies of your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, for teaching purposes or to be provided, on individual basis, to fellow researchers.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, electronically on a secure network at your affiliated institution, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, on the World Wide Web, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- In the event that your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, has been requested to be reproduced, for any purpose or in any form approved by the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers), you will be informed. It is requested that any changes to your contact details (especially e-mail addresses) are made known.
Copyright: Role and responsibility of the Author(s)
- In the event of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science contains materials copyrighted to others prior, it is the responsibility of current author(s) to obtain written permission from the copyright owner or owners.
- This written permission should be submitted with the proof-copy of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science
Chan L K., and Li G-Y. (1994). A multivariate control chart for detecting linear trends, Communications in Statistics-Simulation and Computation 23 (4):997â€“1012.
Charnes J M. (1995). Tests for special causes with multivariate autocorrelated data, Computers and Operations Research 22 (4):443â€“453.
Crosier R B. (1988). Multivariate generalizations of cumulative sum quality-control schemes, Technometrics 30 (3):291â€“303.
HÃ¤rdle W K., Prastyo D D., and Hafner C M. (2014). Support vector machines with evolutionary model selection for default prediction. The Oxford Handbook of Applied Nonparametric and Semiparametric Econometrics and Statistics. Oxford University Press.
Harris T J., and Ross W H. (1991). Statistical process control procedures for correlated observations, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering 69 (1):48â€“57.
Healy J D. (1987). A note on multivariate CUSUM procedures, Technometrics 29 (4):409â€“412.
Hsu C W., Chang C C., and Lin C J. (2016). A practical guide to support vector classification. National Taiwan University.
Hwang C. (2016). Multioutput LS-SVR based residual MCUSUM control chart for autocorrelated process, Journal of the Korean Data and Information Science Society 27 (2):523â€“530.
Issam B K., and Mohamed L. (2008). Support vector regression based residual MCUSUM control chart for autocorrelated process, Applied Mathematics and Computation 201 (1â€“2):565â€“574.
Johnson R A., and Bagshaw M. (1974). The effect of serial correlation on the performance of CUSUM tests, Technometrics 16 (1):103â€“112.
Kalgonda A A., and Kulkarni S R. (2004). Multivariate quality control chart for autocorrelated processes, Journal of Applied Statistics 31 (3):317â€“327.
Khediri I B., Weihs C., and Limam M. (2010). Support vector regression control charts for multivariate nonlinear autocorrelated processes, Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems 103 (1):76â€“81.
Khusna H., Mashuri M., Prastyo D D., and Ahsan M. (2018). Multioutput least square SVR based multivariate EWMA control chart, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 1028:12221. IOP Publishing.
Kramer H G., and Schmid L V. (1997). EWMA charts for multivariate time series, Sequential Analysis 16 (2):131â€“154.
Liu G., Lin Z., and Yu Y. (2009). Multi-output regression on the output manifold, Pattern Recognition 42 (11):2737â€“2743.
Lowry C A., Woodall W H., Champ C W., and Rigdon S E. (1992). A multivariate exponentially weighted moving average control chart, Technometrics 34 (1):46â€“53.
Ngai H-M., and Zhang J. (2001). Multivariate cumulative sum control charts based on projection pursuit, Statistica Sinica 747â€“766.
Noorossana R., and Vaghefi S J M. (2006). Effect of autocorrelation on performance of the MCUSUM control chart, Quality and Reliability Engineering International 22 (2), 191â€“197.
Pignatiello J J., and Runger G C. (1990). Comparisons of multivariate CUSUM charts, Journal of Quality Technology 22 (3):173â€“186.
Psarakis S., and Papaleonida G. (2007). SPC procedures for monitoring autocorrelated processes, Quality Technology and Quantitative Management 4 (4):501â€“540.
Sato J R., Costafreda S., Morettin P A., and Brammer M J. (2008). Measuring time series predictability using support vector regression, Communications in Statistics-Simulation and Computation 37 (6):1183â€“1197.
Åšliwa P., and Schmid W. (2005). Monitoring the cross-covariances of a multivariate time series, Metrika 61 (1):89â€“115.
Suykens J A K., Van-Gestel T., De-Brabanter J., De-Moor B., and Vandewalle J. (2002). Least squares support vector machines. World Scientific.
Suykens J A K., and Vandewalle J. (1999). Multiclass least squares support vector machines, IEEE 2:900-903.
Theodossiou P. (1993). Predicting shifts in the mean of a multivariate time series process: an application in predicting business failures, Journal of the American Statistical Association 88:441â€“449.
Thissen U., Van-Brakel R., De-Weijer A P., Melssen W J., and Buydens L M C. (2003). Using support vector machines for time series prediction, Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems 69 (1â€“2):35â€“49.
Tuia D., Verrelst J., Alonso L., Perez-Cruz F., and Camps-Valls G. (2011). Multioutput support vector regression for remote sensing biophysical parameter estimation, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters 8 (4):804â€“808.
Vanbrackle L N., and Reynolds M R. (1997). EWMA and CUSUM control charts in the presence of correlation, Communications in Statistics-Simulation and Computation 26 (3):979â€“1008.
Vapnik V N. (1998). Statistical Learning Theory. John Wiley & Sons.
Vapnik V N. (2000). The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory 8.
Woodall W H., and Montgomery D C. (1999). Research issues and ideas in statistical process control, Journal of Quality Technology 31 (4):11.
Wororomi J K., Mashuri M., Irhamah, and Arifin A Z. (2014). On monitoring shift in the mean processes with vector autoregressive residual control charts of individual observation, Applied Mathematical Sciences 8:3491â€“3499.
Xu S., An X., Qiao X., Zhu L., and Li, L. (2013). Multi-output least-squares support vector regression machines, Pattern Recognition Letters 34 (9):1078â€“1084.
Yashchin E. (1993). Performance of CUSUM control schemes for serially correlated observations. Technometrics 35 (1):37â€“52.